Help Haiti

Ayunga tsun srung Haiti ila ildownloadsi fi'u tirol,way fu/si pamtseo..... Irayo ulte eywa ngahu!

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Cohesion

I was attending my biology homework when I came across a question regarding the transportation of water in xylem vessels.


“Explain what is meant by cohesion”

I look up in my Latin dictionary once. The word ‘cohesion’ comes from the Latin word ‘cohaerentia’ (ae).

In chemistry, cohesion (or cohesive forces) is a sort of a physical property of a certain substance, due to the intermolecular attraction between the same molecules (or like molecules) within a substance that that acts to unite them. The attraction of water to the sides of your measuring cylinder is an example of cohesion. Water is like strongly cohesive towards each other, forming four hydrogen bonds with other water molecules in a tetrahedral configuration. So, there are strong Coulumb forces between the molecules!

But what rings in my head is the word cohesion. There’s cohesion of what so many other bullshit out there!

When I was 10, my dad got me a book about landslides. In geology, cohesion is the shear strength of a rock or soil. That’s all I’ve ever knew, until my dear Cikgu Azmi told me that cohesion in soils is caused by root cohesion (ya, we blaja in geo form 4 kan!). So, if you continue logging, burning trees down and such, the soil loses its cohesion, because no friggin plant is going to suck up water and keep a certain perfect volume of solution in the soil. Another is the electrostatic forces in firm, over-consolidated soil. In geology, consolidation of soil happens when soil decrease in volume, you know when soil is packed more tightly; the bulk of its volume is reduced. Another way is just the cementing of the entire crap by calcium carbonate or natrium chloride (this soalan will never keluar).

In the context of language, or more specific, linguistics, cohesion is the relationship between grammar and lexicons in a sentence. It binds and holds the text together, giving it meaning and expression. Like using exophorics to describe something without knowing what they really are (When English class get a little too boring...)

According to my ‘beloved’ Politics for Dummies, cohesion can also be used in the world of political science, mainly to refer to the bonds that brings people and communities together, something known as ‘social cohesion’

This post reminds me of the conversation I had with my dad two years ago. The word ‘Dress’. You can refer it to clothing, to put clothes on, to dress a horse, a barber dressing his customer, to dress the surface of a material, a costume, DRESS syndrome, to dress a salad, etc...

Are Speedos ‘cohesive dressings’?

26 comments:

  1. My rating goes for funny not for the fact that your descriptions in every context is hilarious but the way you expressed it out.Well you might be skeptical abt your stated question regarding cohesive dressings of speedos,I shall say NO.Why?Cohesion force is only applied when 2 similar molecules attracts towards each other in cylindrical mediums or hollow tubes against gravity.Speedos work based on external pressure being applied against the suit you wear plus the "tightness" results in lightness of your body in water relating to the Buoyancy Force.Hope I have answered your question right =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lawls, I did mentioned "cylinder" as an example...and the bio question is regarding xylem vessels...
    that speedo-cohesion thing was an inside joke, meant for a person who sitting next to me when I was doing my bio work...
    but thanks anyway, for ur concern, it nice to have some feedback...at least i know there're people out there...(yea! the human race survived!) I'll get an A* for my bio and chem, promise! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahhh didn't realize that u mentioned abt cylinder,my bad..haha..the human race survived?lol,it's like the outcast being complimented..haha..minorities can have better perception and ideas as well at times..A*?Serious?haha,Well I aint gonna let u down but speaking from experience after sitting for Edexcel's Bio paper,I didn't really perform well till I changed my mindset to being more analytical than memorizing and spitting it out as how we were taught in secondary,but yeah all the best Lava!And remember u promised,therefore u post ur result here on ya blog! =) TEHEE!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Damn, which secondary school you attend fren? Last time we dont use textbooks man! Class discussions taken as credits, and Edexcel is a lot more memorising and vomiting out from where I came from...
    And hell yeah all the best to me...
    I wont post my results on my blog though...
    Cause I know...
    When that day comes...
    Im gonna take my results and shove it in your face...then, Im gonna make you buy me lunch...
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wait a minute...
    "human race survived?"
    "A*?Serious?haha"
    "all the best Lava"
    "...and remember, u promised"
    " =) "
    "TEHEE!"

    If im not mistaken...!!
    Anonymous has a name after all...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Duhh I suppose you come from some cluster school huh,well I don't..But hell yeah you can shove it on ma face and get treated with some good lunch if you hit the right target!Haha..

    ReplyDelete
  7. HAH!! Dont mungkir janji ah, I've got digital proof ady!! MUAHAHAHAHA

    ReplyDelete
  8. I aint breaking my promise,just hope you wouldn't "berputus asa" getting ur target right!DEAL ON?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Orite! Janji Tok Hajji sah! remember ah, empat A in january means lunch taw!!
    :P
    Wait...
    Mommy told me not to have lunch with strangers...
    Coz lunch time, semuer orang busy giler, wont notice the white van you'll be driving around with me stuffed inside it...

    ReplyDelete
  10. nah its ok but true what mom says..you don't have to have lunch with me then,lunch will be delivered to u then..ok?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Boleh, no problem...just dont santau the food, nanti I makan, mampos!
    OOPP!! Apple pie for dessert...
    Hah, melampau...asking lunch and desserts from strangers...

    ReplyDelete
  12. 11 comments and I thought what the heeeyyllll =)
    Hoorrr, who is anonymous Lavs, secret admirer ler? your pn.tan here sure say he is d phantom!
    you guys becareful on your date scared the chandelier will fall on you guys ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mengada nie,dah nak bagi lunch nak tambahan pulak lagi..Porridge without salt it shall be..haha

    ReplyDelete
  14. I metabolic rate tinggi skit... must makan banyak, kalau tak I'll die!!!!! and i memang makan porridge without salt...sebab got ikan masin!! hmmmm,sedaaapp!
    and Andrew, you tak habis2 with phantom, criter 20 tahun dulu pon u still excited, kesian!! dah dah, pegi main jauh2, jangan kacau orang besar bercakap, nah nih cinggit, pegi beli aiskrim...

    ReplyDelete
  15. when I mentioned no salt,it is inclusive of any source of salt which means ikan masin not included ler..haha..

    ReplyDelete
  16. eh, you said porridge with no salt...not ikan with no salt, fail!!
    memang stranger yang paling jahat...
    tak nak kawan!!
    are we kawans in the first place?

    ReplyDelete
  17. define what is meant by "no salt",so memang takda salt la..ish..
    Well in the teachings from the past Manifestation of God,it is stated that no citizen of this human race is not left alone and therefore everyone lives as a humankind with one objective which is to achieve world peace as stated by Baha u llah (Manifestation of God of this age)and ultimately I guess that there is no harm of me saying that we are friends..

    ReplyDelete
  18. kawan as in kiter classmates kerh, or pernah skola sama...ish...tak payah la pegi jauh2...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Of course la kawan..Dari St.Mary..tsk tsk,now its ur job to find out which kawan of yours who is very mysterious..muahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  20. eh, watak 'anonymous' nih played by braper banyak orang nih?

    ReplyDelete
  21. macam-macam ada..watak utama,watak sampingan,watak kritikal,watak pembukaan,watak penutupan dan seterusnya..

    ReplyDelete
  22. OMG!! all this while i thought you were a guy!!----hey, wait a minute!! jantan maner curik-curik masok st.mary ahh?? hey anonymous, serious kerh you're the same person dengan the first anonymous yang comment?

    ReplyDelete
  23. apa jantan masuk st.mary?in betina kat st.mary ler..

    ReplyDelete
  24. weyh, i tot u jantan maner entah...hmmm...kawan st.mary...banyaknyer betina kat st.mary!! senior kerh, same badge kerh...cikgu kerh *shivers*

    ReplyDelete
  25. carilah sendiri,malas dah nak comment sini..hehe,will be waiting for u to target me Lava since u know where to find me from!haha

    ReplyDelete

plltxe